Friday, September 09, 2005

The Bigger They Are…

By Joel Persinger

All of my life I have heard it said that “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”. Well my friend, I have news for you. The truth is this… the bigger they are, the harder they hit! In fact, let’s take it a bit further by saying that the bigger they are the harder it is for the smaller person to survive.

Here’s what I mean. Given equal skill levels a 225lb man will overwhelm a 150lb man or woman. Take this even further and say that a 350lb football player will likely defeat a 225lb black belt. I should know, I am a 225lb black belt who would not want to be facing a 350lb football player in a fight.

Having said all this, the simple message is “even the odds”. One of my favorite quotes is “They say God made all men and Sam Colt made ‘em equal”. If given the choice I will never fight anyone regardless of size without an equalizer of some sort. It may be a knife, gun, broom handle or a metal folding chair but you can bet I’m going to cut, shoot or smack him with something big! As my martial arts buddy and fellow instructor, David Collins, is fond of saying “cheat first, cheat last and cheat in the middle”.

No comments: