Monday, November 21, 2005

Knees on the ground.

It amazes me that people forget to KNEE in a fight. Case in point, I went to the Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack yesterday to spend some time with friends I do not get to see all the time & to see some pounding action. And boy that was fun to watch.

What gets me is that on the ground these guys were forgetting to use their knees when they are in the side-mount. Now I know it is easy to play the quarterback from the stands, but we have to have something to discuss and learn from, so here is what I saw.

I saw a lot of missed opportunities for some good rib shots from the side-mount, because fighters were more focused on punching people in the face or trying to put them in a submission. Now, I’m not an expert (I defer to PAIN MASTER McCANN) but when people have their hands up blocking your attempts to punch them, put them in a submission, or hit them in the head with your stick you may want to try and draw their attention away from their head & to the broken ribs that you gave them with your knees.

I did see one person use this technique (if you were there he was wearing the red shorts with the Pillsbury Doughboy all over, of course I think that was a distraction he used on the other fighters) and the fight was over with one knee to the upper rib cage under the left armpit from the side-mount. The fighter that got hit with the knee said he thinks it was broken because he heard it POP.

Now, I like to watch the DB fight & respect their skill and this is not a critique of them or what they teach, but to point out how we all get fixated on one thing sometimes. I have now watched the last two Ultimate Fighter shows and I constantly see pro-fighters miss this simple technique that I know they must learn, because Jim teaches it.

I also saw Mr. Pillsbury defend against a take down with a sprawl and then delivering multiple elbows to the guys back & spine. The receiver tapped.

It was good fun to wacth.

JMT

1 comment:

David said...

My Instructor said.

"Well, if you really use your knees from side mount or whatever, you will really hurt the opponent.

When the Dogs hit the ground they have to resort to a form of submission fighting, because, as with the stick fighting format...

Real head shots hit the head, not a helmet, such a killshot downs the man.
Real knees break ribs and heads.

Just can't be done in practice or competition.
Then, this format becomes muscle memory.
And therefore you see this over and over again.
One begins to loose their way.

...and wonder...why don't they knee other?
An eye jab would be so helpful.
A broken finger?

That is why real, REAL reality fighting training? Needs a little acting..."

Hock